Determining the type of visa you need:
Visas for the United Kingdom are processed by a sub-department of the Home Office – UK Visas and Immigration. In India, the entire application process is handled by VFS Global – a company that specializes in global outsourcing and technology for diplomatic missions and governments worldwide. The Home Office generally grants several types of visas, depending upon the nature of your visit. This is an important step, because it determines what kind of supporting documents you need to submit. Here are some common categories:
- Tier 1: Investor, Entrepreneur, Exceptional Talent, etc.
- Tier 2: Intra-company transfer, etc.
- Tier 5: Government Sponsored, sportsperson, youth mobility schemes, creative persons, etc.
- UK Study : student, student visitor, doctoral scheme extension, etc.
- UK Family: spouse, family, dependent family members, etc.
- UK General Visitor: general tourist, visiting a relative residing in the UK, academic visitor, paid engagement, etc.
- Others: Indefinite Leave to Remain, Right of Abode, UK Settlement, etc.
For the purpose of this post, we shall concentrate on category number 6 – UK General Visitor (short stay Tourist UK Visa is a subset of this category). You can read more about other categories here.